DON'T WANT TO MISS A THING?

Certification Exam Passing Tips

Latest exam news and discount info

Curated and up-to-date by our experts

Yes, send me the newsletter

Here are some tips to help you pass the new CCNA


  •   Posted on: 2023-01-21
  • |
  •   Views: 33
  • |
  •   Category:
  • CISCO News

Here are some tips to help you pass the new CCNA


It seems like vendors update their certifications every few years, once they become familiar with them. It's happening again! Cisco has updated the Cisco Certified Network Associate, its main associate-level routing/switching certification. Don't worry, the content getting a refresh only accounts for 25 percent of the exam. The remaining 75 percent covers core technologies and features that you are familiar with. Let's look at the most significant changes so you can figure out how to deal with them.


Which route should you choose?


You can choose to split the objectives into two tests for easier study or take a single combined test. Everybody who attempts the CCNA certification has their preferred way of passing it. However, neither is better than the other. You can choose to split the 100-101 – Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 exam (ICND1) or the 200-101 – Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 exam (ICND2). The 200-120 – Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices - Composite exam is available if you are only interested in taking one test. These exams were made available in the spring of 2013. The older CCNA exams (640-822, 640-816 & 640-802) are being retired on September 30, 2013.


Topics that are new to the market


Cisco's updated associate-level exams ensure that technology-specific objects remain in the respective tests. For example, voice and wireless are only covered by CCNA. These topics were removed from the CCNA Routing & Switching exams. This leaves more room for R&S topics.


  • IPv6 (Additional coverage, including routing protocols: OSPFv3 & EIGRP IPv6)
  • First Hop Redundancy Protocols, FHRP (including Hot Standby Router Protocols (HSRP), Virtual Router Redundancy Protocols(VRRP), and Gateway Load Balancing Protocols (GLBP).
  • Password Recovery
  • Licensing Software (IOS).
  • Network Time Protocol
  • Syslog and Simple Network Management Protocol, (SNMP).
  • Netflow


These topic updates should be accompanied by some troubleshooting. If you have not taken the exam before, there will likely be more.


Preparing for the CCNA exam


It is best to study for these exams in a way that suits you. Self-study is an option for those with some networking experience. You can use any number of resources including the courses through SPOTO. My experience is that self-study works best when combined with extensive practice using Cisco's IOS. SPOTO is a great course of computer-based training. Before you look at other topics, ensure that you have a solid understanding of the basics, including IP subnetting and basic routing. The fundamentals will be covered regardless of any changes in these exams.


Cramming is not a good option for most Cisco tests and should be avoided. Learn all topics in IOS, then configure them to figure out how they work. Cisco IOS is a well-documented operating system. Cisco has an active certification support group that can offer specific advice when issues arise.


Cisco's CCNAs can be stressful. It doesn't matter how much study you do, it won't help if you are tired or distracted. Get enough sleep and be as confident and relaxed as possible before you start studying for your exams.


SPOTO has just added new CCNA courses! Are you ready to earn one of Cisco's certifications These courses will help you pass the exam?


Are you ready to take the CCNA test? Take this assessment from SPOTO to see how your skills stack up. Take the CCNA exam now.

Comments:


Start the discussion...


To Leave a Comment or reply to posts please log in